Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Eve of Thrace/Anatolia

Sure enough, excitement is setting in. I was thinking about stopping at a Vodafone store to ask about using my cellphone while in Istanbul, and trying to put together the question in my head (I hate being stuttery and obviously foreign when dealing w/ sales personell). Train of thought went roughly así: "Me voy mañana a Estambul, y quiero saber-- wait. I´M GOING TO ISTANBUL TOMORROW!!!" So yeah, I´m increasingly stoked about all of this.
I´ve spent my spare moments today looking at various websites sporting information on the only metropolis in the world which bridges a continental gap. The best part of all of this is that I have a full week in the city-- I have absolutely nothing to keep me from seeing everything. Which is a lot-- most tourism sites list about a dozen mosques and cathedrals, and those are just the huge & historical ones. There´s an afternoon to spend taking a boat tour up the Bosphorus. There´s the Grand Bazaar, and then at least one or two other un-grand ones. There´s multiple huge business districts. There´s bellydancing and hookah bars and the best baklavah in the world and a system of tunnels beneath the city (according to the Bond franchise anyway) and castles and islands and a beautiful coast and two separate seas and millions upon millions of people. It´s all a bit overwhelming, and that´s before I´ve even gotten there. I cannot possibly overstate my excitement.

No comments: