Monday, April 2, 2007

Fınally some pıctures

Moon rises over (I think) the Atik Ali mosque.
St. Anthony's church in Taksim, Istanbul-- a very hip district that's home to most of the theaters involved in the Istanbul International Film Festival, as well as several European embassies.
Gilded cage (actually, it's solid silver) from the Topkapi palace. Couldn't take pictures of the majority of the treasury exhibits, but the simplest things in the no camera zones make this look like a pile of poop.
Section of the old Roman aqueduct that runs through the city. I've got better pictures of it than this, you'll see them some other time.
This is the bellydancer who comes to the hostel twice weekly. Picture says a thousand words.

The main dome of the Suleymaniye Mosque, one of the places I stopped on my leisurely walk Sunday morning and afternoon. Beautiful. Stunning. I think I liked the interior here more than that of the Blue Mosque.

Not quite sure what's going on here, but it looks cool. Also from Sunday AM.

Some folks on the street in Istanbul make their food money by selling trays of birdseed to tourists, resulting in huge flocks of pigeons. Sometimes this works out awesomely for the rest of us. I'm pretty sure that this is Nuruosimaniye Mosque in the background.
This is taken in Asia, on a stop for lunch during our Bosphorus boat cruise aboard...


THE GOOD SHIP DOĞANYURT II, piloted by trusty (that is, licensed) Captain Omer. This was a lot of fun, and the weather was great until the last hour or so.
Rumelihisari Fortress, as seen from the Bosphorus. Actually built before the Ottoman's conquered Constantinople, and used to mount tower guns and control shipping through the Bosphorus. Probably not too long passed between completion of the fortress and the fall of Constantinople to Mehmed II. Industrial district, seen from the boat....

If Carmen Sandiego ever stole Istanbul, this is roughly what the heist would look like.
I was psyched about this picture even before I bought a postcard yesterday sporting the exact same composition in slightly different lighting. That's Sultanahmet, or the Blue Mosque, which lends its name to the entire historic district. Good times. Very rare for a mosque to have 6 minarets.
I took this from atop the Galata Tower, in a district across the Golden Horn from where I'm staying. I really like this picture.

No comments: